Turkey, the land of boron minerals, has a considerable capacity of refined borates besides being the biggest borate ore producer of the world. Although 71% of the reserves are in Turkey, about 92% of the production is exported worldwide and 8% is used domestically.
National Boron Research Institute, BOREN, was established on June,18, 2003 under the authority of Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources by the law numbered 4865 in order to organize and sponsor the scientific studies to widen the consumption areas of boron products as well as the scientific studies for the development of new boron products, to give technical support and/or to sponsor the public and/or private companies already consuming boron products in solving their problems in process, quality and environmental areas, support R&D studies of such companies as well as the Universities and Research Centers.
The mission of BOREN is to act as a "CENTER" for generating and transferring boron information and technology to the world. The main activity fields of BOREN according to the law are
- to be a knowledge hub for generating, sharing and managing boron related scientific/technological knowledge,
- to administer and develop a business ecosystem,
- to coordinate and support projects on R&D, technology.
Until today BOREN performed broad cooperation with the universities and local industry in terms of projects on new products, new technologies and potential application areas. Within this site, you can find valuable information about boron and the projects performed and/or supported by BOREN.
Although BOREN is a national institute, BOREN is open to any boron-based international cooperation and R&D. This cooperation can be done in terms of upgrading its projects on new products, on different fields such as material science, biotechnology, chemical technology, etc. and on the potential application areas.
BOREN is interested and open to cooperation in following developmental schemes;
- to perform research on new products
- to perform research on new application areas for already available boron products
- to upgrade the usage of boron products in already available application areas
- to bring the technology to Turkey and transfer the technology into practice
The past activities of BOREN with numbers:
- Total supported projects were 140; 115 of them belonging to the universities, 20 to the public enterprises and 5 to the private sector.
- Totally 11 patent applications were performed from the projects, 8 of them being patented.
- A TS Standard was obtained.
- 3 pilot plants were established at which 7 boron products -ahsapbor, tarımbor, zinc borate, trimethyl borate, sodium borohydride, boron nitride and elemental boron- were produced.
- 3 International Boron Symposiums and 2 National Boron Workshops were organized.
We kindly invite you to
think of boron, come to BOREN…